Mar 4, 2012

Not a lot of sap...but another quart of syrup

They weather has been tough. The temperature has been almost high enough to really let the sap run, but unfortunately it never got there. Mid-upper thirties with some sun. After collecting the buckets this morning and boiling, another quart of syrup is complete. Some of the sap was starting to taste buddy. One tree was really bad, so I dumped that one. Early signs of the end, I think. A couple decent days are coming up, but the forecast for Wednesday is 61 degrees ?!

2 comments:

Patty Hebert said...

I noticed swelling buds on our largest Sugar Maple. Maybe I should have tapped the trees in January?

Patty Hebert said...

The long range forecast for MA shows, after this weekend, a week of overly warm day and night time temps. Signally, possibly - the season is over. Hopefully your conditions will be more seasonal.

Next year, if faced with such a warm winter, I might tap the trees in January.