Mar 12, 2011

Finally got some sap

The last few days produced about 14 gallons of sap. Earlier this week, there was a really bad ice storm that took out power to the area (and many trees and branches). Warm temperatures and rain returned yesterday, but it wasn't very cold last night. The taps were all dripping slowly mid-morning as we emptied the buckets. There is still around 2 feet of snow in the woods, so snowshoes are essential.

It's time to set up the boiling station. For me, this involves cinder blocks and outdoor propane burners (high-BTU burners often used for frying turkeys or boiling crawfish). If the price of gas is any indication, I'm afraid the price of propane is going to make it an expensive year. On the bright side, it's very easy to start and control boiling with this method. Still hoping to use wood one of these years.

2 comments:

P.H. said...

Got some sap this week too. But today -- with the warmth of last night; only a gallon from 13 taps.

Boiling today -- about 45 gallons.

Best of luck!

Yukon said...

Thank you! Just when I thought it was going to be a bad year - I now have 45 gallons myself. And it's only Wednesday! I'm running out of storage space.