Mar 23, 2011

Tonight's production - more than expected

Five quarts tonight! It's still fairly light-medium in flavor. The sugar content must be very high right now, as I'm almost positive I didn't boil much more than 40 gallons. So far, we've managed just shy of seven quarts. That's nearly as much as I made all of last year, which wasn't a great year. There are about 50 more gallons of sap to be boiled, as well.

As you can see by the clock in the photo, it was late (not lunch time). The good news is that I boiled outside longer than ever before. Using the larger pan, it boils faster. Only 30 minutes was needed inside to finish it off, compared to the 1-2 hours I usually take. The larger volume of this batch helped keep the boiling sap deep enough in the large pan. This was especially welcome since I finally broke the exhaust fan in the oven hood last week. A replacement is on the way.

No comments: