Mar 24, 2011

Three more quarts!

I'm trying something new this year. Finishing the syrup always takes so long. So, after boiling sap down for many hours, I just stick it in the fridge or the garage. Then, I finish it another night. Last night I boiled 30 gallons of sap down to four gallons. Tonight, it finished to three quarts and a half-pint.

I also filter a little less. Getting the tree parts out of the sap seems like a good idea. Then, after boiling for hours, I filter the "almost done" sap into a cleaner boiling pan. That keeps the burnt pieces down. The rest just settles out in the jar over time and doesn't cause any problems.

I need something else to write about. But for now, at least I can keep track of how much I've made throughout the season and hopefully someone out there is learning from my mistakes. I would like to convert to wood in the future or get a better boiling pan to reduce boiling time. But, it's just more money.

No comments: